Watch the video to learn more about our Voice Lesson Program at Eagan High School!
- About Us
- Curricular Choirs
- Co-Curricular Choirs
- Booster Club
- Choir Tour
The choirs at Eagan High School offer opportunities for students in grades 9-12 to study and perform in a choral setting. The music performed spans all styles from the 15th to the 21st centuries. The choirs perform throughout the year inside and outside the school. Home concerts include the Fall, Holiday, Showcase, and Spring Concerts. Festival performances for certain ensembles are also scheduled.
Additional experiences for choir students to participate in include:
- ISD196 Solo and Ensemble Festival
- EHS Masterclass
- EHS Musical Theater Masterclass
- 9th & 10th grade state honor choir
- Minnesota Music Educators’ All-State Choruses
- Statewide festival/honor choirs
In-school tuition-based private voice lessons
We believe every child can learn and extend that belief to the certainty that every child is musically expressive and deserves the opportunity to explore that capability. To that end, our program offers opportunities for the less experienced music learner as well as the highly skilled, gifted musician. We will all learn and perform together to create beautiful choral music regardless of gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, and economic status.
Throughout the year, we will address the individual singer by developing vocal skills, increasing knowledge of his/her own voice, developing music literacy, and providing opportunities for solo performances. In addition, we will address “ensemble” by developing group cohesiveness, building choral skills and fostering pride in participation.
Why is it so important for your child to be in choir?
Choral music can:
- Provide a unique way of thinking.
- Act as a link between the past and the present.
- Lift the self-esteem of participants.
- Bring joy to both singer and audience.
- Provide a means of expressing thoughts, values and emotions through singing that otherwise may be difficult to express through words.
Amy Jo Cherner has been teaching since 2007, and is in her 2nd year at Eagan High School.
Previously she taught at Apple Valley High School, Valley Middle School, and South View Middle School in Edina Public Schools. At Eagan, Amy Jo directs three curricular treble choirs, three co-curricular ensembles, and co-directs their Musical.
She holds a B.M. from Drake University and a Master’s Degree in Music Education with a Choral Conducting emphasis from the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul. She is an active member of MMEA and ACDA, where she held the post of registrar during 2011, has presented at ACDA-MN’s summer dialogue, served on the MN Sings committee, and served as a section lead (2018) and section coach (2017Minnesota All-State SSAA Choirs. In 2015, her non-auditioned 9th grade women’s choir from South View were chosen to perform at the North Central American Choral Directors Convention in Sioux Falls, SD, and in 2013, her performed at Minnesota Music Educators Associations Mid-Winter Clinic.
She and her husband Dave reside in Eagan and their proudest accomplishments are their three children, sons Eli (8 years old) and Avi (6 years old), and daughter Ayla Rose (1 year old).
There are six curricular choirs that meet during the school day at Eagan High School.
- Cavaliers – Non-auditioned 9-12th Grade Tenor/Bass voices (Conducted by Mr. Cox)
- Choraliers – Non-auditioned 9th Grade Soprano/Alto voices (Conducted by Mrs. Cherner)
- Aurora – Non-auditioned 10-12th Grade Soprano/Alto voices (Conducted by Mrs. Cherner)
- Sonos - Non-auditioned 10-12th Grade Tenor/Bass voices (Conducted by Mr. Cox)
- Bel Canto – Auditioned 10-12th Grade Soprano/Alto voices (Conducted by Mrs. Cherner)
- Concert Choir – Auditioned 11-12th Grade SATB (Conducted by Mr. Cox)
Participation in these vocal music ensembles will require 10-12th grade students pay the ISD 196 required Activity Fee of $80.00 (9th grade- no fee). This is a one-time fee for the entire year for any Vocal Music Co-Curricular Ensemble. Students in multiple co-curricular vocal ensembles will only need to pay a one time fee. Families unable to afford the fee should speak to your director or seek funding through Dr. Reikowski, EHS Principal.
VOX: is a Tenor/Bass a cappella ensemble comprised of 11th through 12th graders. VOX will perform at the Fall Concert, Holiday Concert, “Just Desserts”, Solo and Ensemble Festival, Spring Concert, as well as various community and school events. Rehearsals are Monday evenings from 6:00 to 7:00pm.
caché: is a Soprano/Alto a cappella ensemble comprised of 11th through 12th graders. caché will perform at the Fall Concert, Holiday Concert, “Just Desserts”, Solo and Ensemble Festival, Spring Concert, as well as various community and school events. Rehearsals are Monday evenings from 6:00-7:00pm.
Chamber Singers: A small mixed ensemble comprised of 10th through 12th grade singers. This is a full year ensemble that will perform at the four home concerts, “Just Desserts”, and ISD196 Solo and Ensemble Festival. Rehearsals are Monday evenings from 7:00 to 8:00pm.
Freshman Select Choir: A small mixed ensemble comprised of 9th graders. This ensemble will audition in October and is open to any 9th grade student at EHS. They will perform in the Winter, Showcase, and Spring Concert as well as “Just Desserts” and Solo and Ensemble. Rehearsals are Monday evenings from 5:00-6:00pm.
SuperGroup: A small SSA ensemble comprised of 11th and 12th graders who audition in October. They perform at all choir concerts and rehearse Monday Evenings from 5:00-6:00pm.
bNats: A small SATB ensemble which focuses on acapella vocal jazz music. They are comprised of 11th-12th graders and perform at all concerts. Rehearsals are Monday Evenings from 7:00-8:00pm.
Important Choir Dates for 2020-2021
- April 5th - Solo Festival Registration Due
- April 12th - Just Desserts Auditions
- April 14th - All State Recording Day
- April 19th - All State Recordings Due
- May 1st - ENCORE! Premiere
- May 12th - Solo Festival 4-8
- May 16th - Just Desserts Concert
- June 1st - Spring Concert #1 (Concert Choir, Sonos, Aurora, Bel Canto)
- June 3rd - Spring Concert #2 (Cavaliers, Choraliers, Freshman Select)
The EHS Choir Booster club was created to provide support for all aspects of the Eagan Choral Program and to promote the value of choral music at all levels. They will support and encourage all students in the choir program, regardless of gender identity, race, religion, sexual orientation, and economic status.